|JOB TITLE||Consular Officer X 2|
|DEPARTMENT||GENERAL ADMINISTRATION AND CONFERENCE|
|DIRECTORATE||CONFERENCE & PROTOCOL|
|LINE SUPERVISOR||PRINCIPAL PROTOCOL OFFICER|
|DUTY STATION||ABUJA, NIGERIA|
|Applications should be sent to : email@example.com|
Under the supervision of the Principal Officer Protocol, the incumbent will provide day-to-day protocol support services with issuing visas, resident permits resolving challenges and ensuring the smooth delivery of services whilst providing needed support to the Principal Protocol Officer.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Facilitate liaison between the Commission and the host Government counterparts as well as the diplomatic community.
· Undertake protocol activities of the Protocol Division in the Commission and provide protocol services and advice to the Commission, its staff and guests;
· Delivers consular and passport services to the Staff of the Commission, including responses to client enquiries with requests for information and forms
· Process passport applications and conduct personal interviews
· Perform security checks and follow procedures for centralised passport operations
· Maintain passport databases for the Commission’s staff
· Update schedule of fees and printed instructions as required
· Maintain stock levels of all passport related materials including application forms, travel documents and laminates
· Manage consular cases, update and maintain consular case records, including welfare, whereabouts, repatriations, visa refusals and denials.
· Communicate and co-ordinate with hospitals, police, lawyers, social services, airlines, government and non-government authorities and other contacts as required
· Execute notarial acts using ECOWAS guidelines
· Organise and execute accreditation of diplomats and heads of missions as well as multilateral organizations that partner with the commission.
· Coordinate and provide protocol services during the ECOWAS Statutory and technical meetings and important events organised by the Commission or those being held under its auspices;
· Perform other duties as assigned.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Social sciences from a recognised University;
· 5 years of progressively responsible experience in protocol, travels, tourism, hospitality or any related area;
· knowledge of accepted norms, rules and customs of international diplomatic protocols, including practices developed within ECOWAS system or similar international organisations;
· knowledge of diplomatic and travel services in a governmental or international organisation including experience in developing constructive working relationships with host governments;
· proven experience in the organisation of international conferences/events;
· knowledge of accepted norms, rules and customs of international travel logistics, including practices developed within international organisations;
· knowledge of the airline industry, travel planning in a governmental or international organisation including experience in developing constructive working relationships.
Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS KEY COMPETENCIES
· ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
· ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
· ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
· ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
· ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
· ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
· contribute to maintaining organisational unit’s performance goals and standards.
· interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
· ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
· ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards;
· demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
· understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
· ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
· ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
· ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
· ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbias and transparent manner.
· knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
· knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
· knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
· knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
· knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
· ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
· ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
· knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
· ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
· demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
· ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
· ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
· exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
· proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
· Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
· ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
· identify ,organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
· ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
· ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
· ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.